Telegram VS. Privacy Concerns: Is It Really A Safe Messaging App?
Table Of Contents
- Is Telegram Safe?
- How Does Telegram Handle Its Data?
- 1) End-To-End Encryption
- 2) Data Storage
- 3) Open Source And Security Edits
- 4) Limited Data Collection
- What Are The Telegram Privacy And Security Features?
- 1) Secret Chats
- 2) Nobody Feature
- 3) Stop Forwarded Texts
- 4) Stop Unwanted Calls
- 5) Unwanted Telegram Groups
- 6) Delete Contacts Which Are Stored On The Telegram Servers
- In Conclusion
Nowadays, people are using phones not just to make calls or send 160-character text messages. As days pass, the internet becomes more accessible and affordable, providing a more personalized and customized messaging experience.
Even billions of messages are regularly transmitted over apps like WhatsApp and Telegram etc. Below, I am going to discuss your question: is Telegram safe?
Is Telegram Safe?
Telegram is a cloud-based messaging application that developers launched in the year of 2013. The developer of Telegram, Pavel Durov, criticizes WhatsApp’s weak privacy system on so many public forums. Below, I am going to discuss whether is Telegram safe?
But is it safe to use? Let’s explore how Telegram handles data protection and privacy approaches.
How Does Telegram Handle Its Data?
If you want to know the data and privacy policies of Telegram, then let’s take a look at the data policies of Telegram. Below, I am going to discuss the same.
1) End-To-End Encryption
In recent times, Telegram has ensured top-tier security by employing the most popular end-to-end encryptions in secret chats. However, end-to-end encryptions are not applied where users can conveniently switch to any secret chat, and you can even enjoy risk-free conversation.
2) Data Storage
Another one of the great ways to handle data is by storing data in the cloud. This protocol relies on server-client encryption, and this operates through the distributed network along with stored data in multiple global data centers. The data storage architecture allows users to access Telegram data across several devices.
3) Open Source And Security Edits
Telegram is one of the most open-source platforms, and this makes its protocols, APIs, and source code for any public scrutiny. This also allows researchers to examine several privacy features and data handling policies. On the other hand, Telegram welcomes several third-party security services that contribute in terms of identifying and even addressing potential security weaknesses.
4) Limited Data Collection
Telegram helps to collect minimal data in terms of creating accounts, digital footprints, and curbing users. In this case, Metadata remains the Telegram unencrypted, and even this encompasses some essential details like device specifics, contact list, and even user ID.
What Are The Telegram Privacy And Security Features?
In recent times, Telegram has introduced many new features and several security protocols. Users can use this platform without compromising their potential data breaches or privacy. Do you have the answer is telegram down then how you would handle it? Below, I am going to discuss the privacy and security features of Telegram.
1) Secret Chats
In recent times, Telegram chats are not end-to-end encrypted by default. To protect your chats on Telegram, you must activate this feature called Telegram secret chats. Now let’s talk about how you will be able to start the encryption service such as:
- First, open any chat in Telegram.
- Then click on the contact’s name.
- After that, you will be getting the three-dots icon.
- Then click on the Start secret chat options.
In this case, your contact will receive a secret chat request, and then you must accept this. Then make sure you have approved this. Afterward, the conversations will be private. There are some inconveniences with the secret Telegram chat, which need to be fixed.
2) Nobody Feature
Telegram gives another security which will help you to hide your contact number from everyone. In this case, you have to follow the steps to activate the same, such as:
- First, navigate to the Telegram’s settings.
- Then click on the security and privacy.
- Then click on the phone number.
- Then press the option Nobody to hide the contact number from being public.
3) Stop Forwarded Texts
If someone forwards your texts to someone else, then you can include a link to your profile along with a message that you delivered. Here, you can stop the steps mentioned below, such as:
- First, navigate to the Telegram’s settings.
- Then, navigate to privacy and security.
- Then press on the options named “Forwarded messages.”
- Then click on the nobody option for earring the link.
4) Stop Unwanted Calls
When it comes to Telegram calls, this could be a great alternative to any regular phone call. In case you would like to have them. If you don’t want to use this calling feature, you can certainly turn off this calling feature.
The steps that you have to follow are:
- First, navigate to the Telegram settings.
- Then click on privacy and security.
- Then click on calls.
- After that, you can select nobody.
5) Unwanted Telegram Groups
Another security feature is all about deleting additional strange groups. Here is the process to delete the unwanted Telegram groups such as:
- First, navigate to Telegram settings.
- Then click on the privacy and security.
- Then click on the options named “Groups & Channels.”
- Then click on the “My Contacts” options.
6) Delete Contacts Which Are Stored On The Telegram Servers
If you already have access to your contacts, you can use the address book by mistake. In this case, you can quickly delete all your saved contacts from the platform. Here are the steps which you have to follow mentioned below:
- First, navigate to the Telegram’s settings.’
- Then press on the options named “Privacy and Security.”
- Then press on the options called “Data Settings.”
- Then, you will be able to delete the synced contacts.
I have discussed the answer to your question: is Telegram safe? And some security features of Telegram above in this article. Developers make this platform based on the protocol called MTProto and said that it makes the security compatible along with high-speed delivery.
There also has some reliability on multiple weak connections. However, more than formal encryptions are needed when securing messages on this platform. In this case, when a Telegram server receives this message, then this message goes through the decryption process, and if you have access to this, you will be able to see it. I hope you liked this article. In case you have doubts, please comment below!