Security Alert: The Top Telegram App Scams You Need To Know
Telegram is one of the most popular messaging applications across the globe. But as per Telegram’s popularity, it is important to have high levels of security. This might not make them a favorite among other hackers and scammers.
As users already know, Telegram is one of the most popular messaging applications; it is quite common to use Telegram scams like fake text messages, robocalls, scam emails, and so many others.
Scammers mainly use multiple social engineering tactics, which gives them access to personally identifiable information like credit card numbers, two-factor authentications, and social security numbers.
In this article, I will discuss the top Telegram app scams you must know.
Here Are The 5 Telegram App Scams That You Have To Know
Do you know how many fraudulent schemes there are for Telegram scams? Well, recently, scammers have flocked to its widespread popularity and ease of use. Below, I am going to discuss the 5 Telegram scams that you need to know.
1) Fake Telegram Channels And Groups
In recent times, Telegram groups and channels are the most popular places where several types of users come together and can easily talk about any topic that they are usually aware of. In this case, if it is about scammers, they will often create “Copycat” versions of these popular channels along with a false sense of security.
It is hard to recognize the fake channels because these will look similar to the real ones. Not only that, but they might have similar names and also similar profile pictures, including pinned messages and so on. These also have admins and usernames nearly identical to any legitimate one.
On the other hand, you will also be able to see a lot of activities like actively chatting about promotions, getting free prizes, and so on while promoting their fake channels. Do you know one of the most dangerous things about these telegram channels? These channels target cryptocurrency investors with flash sales and so on.
What to do when you identify fake Telegram channels and groups?
- First, make sure you have reported any dangerous or imposter telegram channels. In this case, you have to click on three dots in the corner of the interface. After that, select the reason why you would like to report.
- Or else you can change your settings to only allow your account to be added to new channels and groups from your contacts. To do this, first you have to navigate to “Settings” and then “Privacy and Security.” then you can easily change the group’s publicity from “everyone” to “My Contacts.”
2) “Crypto Expert” Scams
One of the most popular messaging applications in recent times is Telegram. This platform is quite interesting for people, especially in blockchain and cryptocurrencies. But now scammers are also taking advantage of pose and fact as crypto experts on Telegram to scam victims out of money, coins, and even account logins.
These scams involve the promise of any guaranteed return on any crypto investment. On the other hand, scammers will post replies to Twitter comments, or it is even easier to reach out directly on Telegram, where scammers promise they will provide up to 50% returns on your investment.
Scammers will also ask you to create an account on their “Special” crypto exchange. They will show you charts and graphs where you will get to see your investment is increasing. Make sure you know everything about Telegram.
What to do if you have recognized a crypto expert scam:
- Make sure you have ignored anyone who claims to offer a guaranteed return, especially in crypto.
- Ensure you don’t invest in any special cryptocurrency, as these are faked.
- Don’t send crypto, money, or even account information to anyone whom you have only interacted with on Telegram or even on other messaging platforms like Whatsapp.
3) Tech Support Scams
Another Telegram app scam involves multiple fraudsters creating multiple accounts that mimic legitimate tech support agents. These fake bots will easily scan channels and groups for phrases and keywords. They also claim to reach out to be from the company.
Do you have any idea how you would be able to recognize tech support scams?
Well, ensure you are cautious of any account that reaches out to your offers and support. If you are dealing with issues with an account or company, then always directly contact us through official channels.
What to do if you have identified the tech support scams such as:
- In this case, you can take a look at the account’s actual username so that you can see if it matches the screen name or not.
- On the other hand, you can block or even report suspicious accounts to both companies or Telegram that are being imitated.
4) It Looks Like Telegram Admin Accounts
Do you know Telegram usernames are unique so that scammers won’t be able to copy any existing ones? Many of those scammers create account names that exactly do the same as those.
Now, let’s talk about how to spot the scam. Well, you have to search the account name and look for any letter swap in an admin’s name. On the other hand, you should also be cautious of those who send the direct messages you are receiving rather than posting in the public domain.
What to do if you have identified Telegram admin accounts as fake?
- In this case, you can search for the group that finds posts from the users who have contact with you. On the other hand, if you are dealing with a scammer, then nothing comes up.
- If you have recognized a single part of a fake Telegram admin account, make sure you don’t leak your personal information or even passwords in the direct message.
- Ensure you have reported scam accounts to both, such as the company and Telegram itself, which are being impersonated.
5) Fake Crypto Channels
The fake or scam owner of the Telegram channel will coordinate price manipulation with a large group of members. This is one of the most popular telegram app scams. In this case, admins might claim to have special or insider knowledge. In reality, they will try to pump up valuable assets, and they even want to sell them off before they crash.
If you have identified any fake crypto channels, then what would you do?
- In this case, make sure you don’t fall victim to any false sense. On the other hand, always do it during diligence before investing.
- On the other hand, you can look at the historical performance. This will help you to predict the crypto price successfully in the past.
I have discussed the top telegram app scams above in this article. In recent times, Telegram has been one of the most popular and also an excellent tool that helps you to keep in touch with friends and people whom you want to connect with online.
You will be able to sue Telegram without fearing getting scammed. On the other hand, if you want to eliminate scammers and fake owners of crypto channels in Telegram, then you can use Aura.
It protects your networks and devices from scammers, hackers, etc. Not only that, but you can even get warnings of several phishing sites and malware sites, and you can even easily monitor your Telegram accounts for fraud signals. Thank you for reading till the end.
Learning More About:
You May Also Like
September 7, 2023
November 25, 2023